2008년 2월 10일 일요일

Kofun period in Japan

I went to Metropolitan Museum today and found something really interesting.

I was not interested in Japanese history and artifice because it is so popular.

However, when I confront this kind of Japanese artifices, I was frozen.





Bust of a warrior, Kofun period (ca. 3rd c–538), 5th–6th centuryKanto region, JapanEarthenware with painted, incised, and applied decoration; H. 13 1/8 in. (33.3 cm), W. 10 7/8 in. (27.6 cm)




Haniwa were the clay objects placed around Kofun in protohistoric Japan. They varied in size (but generally between 60-90cm in height for human statues)and subject (warriors, horses, priests, etc).


Haniwa refers to the unglazed earthenware objects stacked on the tops of tumulus. In the Kofun (tumulus) period, Osaka was a political and economic center. This type of ship may have been used for technical and cultural exchanges with continental countries. Circa 5th century.


That was fun, but not shoking yet,

The amazing thing that I found today is.....
All my work I did in 2005 had same face with Kofun's face.

I think my idea is naturally derived from my ancestor's aesthetics and their work.

Here is artifices from Shilla, the ancient country of Korea.



Some of Silla's people migrated to Japan and they made some work which has simillarity with Silla's clay figurines. And it is amazing even I do this work nowadays.

It was really good opportunity to think about my cultural origin.

댓글 1개:

Ethan :

Interesting stuff... the clay figurines makes me think of Antony Gormley's Asian Field